Monday 15 October 2012

OUGD403 Design Skills: Alphabet Soup (Task 2)

Following the group crit, where I presented my near final design to the tutors and my peers within the crit, see the below, I've begun working on the final touches for my letterforms.


Feedback from the crit advised that I work on including more of Noma Bar (Lizzy's favourite designers)'s style into the letter forms, but this, they meant try to include the 'shapes within shapes' into the letter forms in the style of Noma Bar. So I've decided to pick up on one of her other points, her super-power; time travel. 

Now, I want to keep the shape within the letter forms fairly simple, so instead of tracing the impossible shape of  a victorian time machine, I've decide to use shapes which correlate to time travel. I've turned towards some motifs from the 1958 film Vertigo, by the genius Alfred Hitchcock. Click here to see the Design Context Post. Hitchcock uses the spiral within this film to represent the past, and how the protagonist is trapped in it, almost like time travel. I've also recalled seeing many sci-fi-esque films which incude a spiral to show the journey through time. So I'm going to implement this into my designs.


As you can see above, I've implemented the basic shapes of the Vertigo-Time-Travel-Spiral into the letterforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment