Tuesday 24 December 2013

OUGD504: STUDIO BRIEF 3 - Design for Print & Web // Logo Development

I want to communicate the connection between the typographic anatomic element, the bowl, and the bowl which you eat soup from, in the logo. 


In typography, the curved part of the character that encloses the circular or curved parts (counter) of some letters such as d, b, o, D, and B is the bowl. Some sources call any parts of a letter enclosing a space a bowl, including both parts of a double-storey g and the straight stemon a D or B. The curved strokes of a C are sometimes also referred to as bowls although they aren't closed.


I began to experiment and play with the anatomy of those selected letters. Cutting the letterform down, to create a second meaning for the letterform whilst still maintaining it's original characteristics to make them identifiable as the original letterforms. 


Using the letter O, I tired to highlight the bowl, and tried to make the O look like a bowl, so, dissecting the stroke. Cutting it in half horizontally gave me the look of a bowl, and thickening the inside stroke highlighted the bowl. However, I had to put a top on the letterform, or the bowl doesn't become a bowl.


I mocked up the Bowl-Bowl in Illustrator, the fonts and colour are all yet to be finalised, it'll look a little different to this, If I go with this design. I spoke with Adam for a second opinion, He advised I increase the thickness of the strokes, slightly, just so when scaled down the strokes don't look like a hair on the page. Above you're seeing the modified version. 



I wasn't entirely happy with how the bowl-bowl looked. So I sketched out some ideas with a different letterform. The lowercase b works well as a point to move from, b is the beginning of the word bowl; instant symbolism. I then began to pick apart the letterform, I applied the same ideas to the bowl of b, as I did to the bowl of O. I then decided to make the highlight in the bowl look more like soup, so I applied some motion on the top. This kind of makes the logo look a little like a ladle, adding another connotation to the bowl linking to soup. 


I went and digitised the b-bowls in Illustrator, I also modified the end of the stroke which was dissected. I think the sharper ending works better than the softer ending, it looks more like the letterform has been dissected. Whereas the rounded end looks more like it should be like that, and you stop thinking the letterform looks like a b.






No comments:

Post a Comment