Monday 24 February 2014

OUGD505: STUDIO BRIEF 1 - Product, Range and Distribution // Aston Martin Publication

I began to digitise my layouts, and implement the content and the images, based on my research. I've created 50% grids in my layout pad, as seen in a previous post. 

Duo Tone Imagery 

I've decided to use duo tone imagery throughout my publication, using a british racing green and a white. The pantone of the green I'm using is P 141 -14C as it's the closest I can get to the British Racing Green, without the colours looking too dark. I'm using white as the secondary colour, so If I were to use black text with the dark drawing screen, it would hardly be readable. 


The duo tone imagery will help reduce the costs of printing, needing only black and P 141-14 C to print the document, a two colour approach to the publication. 

Layout Digitising 

When setting up the document, I added a 5mm bleed around the edges of the pages, with various widths on the margins - I've done this to give to shape to the publication, leaving larger amounts of room around the outer edge and the bottom of the pages for the fingers of the reader to hold without obscuring any of the images or text on the page. 


I created a master page layout in inDesign. I used the Apple scripts to create the grid system, which will be applied to every page. I also inserted a special character, which lists the page number of the pages automatically, which saves me doing it to every single page. 


The first page houses the introduction to the publication, some background on the company, who they are and what they do, to introduce the audience into the subject. This helps lead into the following page. 


To separate the history page from the introduction page, i've used a full page image, with Aston Martin's slogan 'Power Beauty Soul' overlaying the image. 


Rather than having all the text on one page, I split the content into two subjects, old Aston Martin Racing and New Aston Martin, the old Aston Martin to the left, and the new Aston Martin to the right. 



This spread is in the centre of the publication, I've used the space for an image, as this spread is the central page, the image will be on one sheet, rather than two separate sheets, the centre fold page. So the image won't be distorted or split by the bind, I've decided to fill the whole page with an image. To break up the type in the publication. 


A slight alteration, to the layout on the cars page, instead of having all the text at the bottom of the page, I've spread out the image more and placed the type in between the images. I've done this because it's easier to see which section of type relates to which image, and it spreads out the page. 






No comments:

Post a Comment