Wednesday 9 October 2013

OUGD504: STUDIO BRIEF 1 - Design for Print // Concept

For this studio brief, I need to create an informative pack, all about print. So, I sat down and drew out some mind maps, so flesh out my ideas, and decide what I need and want to create. 


I had an idea to create a print project pack, which included examples of a few of the processes and colour modes I would be describing in the book. I wanted to target it at students who didn't know how to print, and perhaps would need to use a high-quality printing studio for perhaps a final major project. This could apply to illustrators, animators, fashion students, fine art students. People, unlike myself, who don't spend half their time obsessing about print. 


I want to bind my book using perfect bound methods. I've not perfect bound before, there's alot more that can go wrong, compared to saddle stitch, my go to method. Experimentation, and I really like how perfect bound books look, and open. I want to use Helvetica Neue, a modern legible, readable typeface, often associated with formality, and factual information used in learning, which my publication will be about. 


I drew up what my publication might look like. I'd really like to tile a pattern on the cover, something different from what I usually create. I also want to use mount board, to add some structure and thickness to my publication. 


I'll be digitally printing the inners of my book, to save on cost. However, to include none CMYK colours, I need to use alternative methods of printing, as Digital Print in College doesn't stock fluorescent and metallic inks. So I'll be screen printing onto some of the page inners. 


No comments:

Post a Comment